Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hats Off to the Phillies




I love baseball. I'm not apologizing. I love the Blue Jays. I Hate the Yankees. Always have, always will.

So, here's my point. Major League Baseball has not kept pace with the times in professional sport. Salary caps, drafting policies, and league rules still hugely favour the teams in large markets with more money.

So here we are are watching the almost new Devil Rays against the Phillies. Two great teams with a grand total of ONE World Championships in their storied pasts. It's a great story.

I think back to 1992 and 1993. It was truly a thrill to be there for the Blue Jays. I was at that Game 4 when Devon White made that great catch against the wall. It was a huge thrill to be part of those celebrations. I love Joe Carter. But, as thankful as I am, I think every fan in baseball deserves that thrill. I think today about those Philly fans with seasons tickets who have been there year in and year out cheering for their team. I've been there and I'm happy for them. High fives all around.

That's why I hate the Yankees. They flagrantly throw hugh balls of cash at old players expecting them to produce one more time for the historied Yanks. They're not good... they just have lots of money. I'm personally happy that their business plan seldom works.

So now it's been 15 years... I think it's getting close to our turn. What do you think? How soon can Pat Gillick return?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I am happy for them too. Maybe they will have Mitch Williams throw out the first pitch on opening day just like Bill Buckner threw at the Red Sox opening day last year.